Sunday, January 9, 2011

Menu Re-cap

A couple weeks ago, I posted my menu. It was the menu for right after Christmas. As usual, we didn't eat everything on the menu but we had a good reason. An epic flu hit my grandma's house and we ended up staying a day longer than planned. (I couldn't ride in a car the day we were supposed to go back.) The items that we did not eat were: Crockpot Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti, Boneless Beef Ribs, Vegetarian Chili and Chicken Noodle soup. Some of these made their way onto our current menu; others did not. The Crockpot cheesy chicken spaghetti did not make its way onto our current menu. Our previous menu was my second attempt for it. We've had it in the past and it tastes good but if something is on two menus in a row and we don't eat it, I figure we don't really want it and move on. The beef ribs was a lack of planning on my part. I didn't have a recipe and thought I'd figure it out when the time came... I didn't and I was still feeling a little weak from the epic flu. I'm not sure why we didn't have the vegetarian chili but I put it back on the menu. Chicken Noodle soup was another instance of not planning ahead. I hadn't taken the chicken out of the freezer before Friday. We're supposed to have it today but once again, the chicken is still in the freezer. It will get made at some point this week.
We did have the ham and the ham soup. I didn't care for the soup. It's alright but not great so I threw away the recipe. I don't keep recipes that we're not crazy about. It took 11 hours in the Crockpot. And no, I'm not kidding, 11 hours. It ended up being more mush than soup. I did add more chicken broth to our left-overs but it was still weird when I took it to work for lunch.
A couple of things that went well were: ground beef with rice and Rotel tomatoes and the hodgepodge sloppy Joes. The ground beef with rice and Rotel tomatoes was so easy. Cook rice, brown ground beef and drain, open two cans of tomatoes (with green chilis) and there you go. It made me want to prep all of our veggies for the current menu plan in advance. I haven't done it yet but am going to. This will make it easier to make supper when I'm dead-tired from work. (Something that's happening more often.) The hodgepodge sloppy Joes were the best I've ever had. I found the recipe on myfrugalfunlife.com and it is a Crockpot recipe.
In hind sight, the Crockpot was used three times which is still great. Steve did help cook through out the week which is great. I'm hoping we stick to our current menu plan a little better than we did our previous one.

No comments:

Post a Comment