You may recall that I went to a Guy Fieri show a few years ago with a friend. Guy reminded everyone in the audience to cook with their kids. I took his advice to heart and have already started cooking with Katherine and teaching her some basic kitchen knowledge. Last Tuesday I was actually able to make supper before Steve got home. Katherine sat in her bouncy seat on the kitchen floor just watching me cook and listening to the little lessons. I made a sort-of goulash. I browned some hamburger and added spaghetti sauce, garlic and pasta to it. I rounded out the meal with cottage cheese, peaches and a salad. Here are the lessons I taught Katherine:
1. Always wash your hands after handling raw meat.
2. You have to stir pasta as it cooks to prevent it from sticking together.
3. It's OK to use sauce out of a jar and add your own seasonings to it.
4. It's also OK to buy the minced garlic in a jar instead of buying a clove and mincing it yourself.
5. When carrying a pot of boiling water to the sink, carry it over the counter and away from others in the room.
6. Always pour boiling water into the strainer away from you so you don't accidentally get burned.
7. After browning meat, drain it to get rid of the excess grease.
I do sincerely hope that she will grow up loving to cook as much as Steve and I do. I also know that the first step for that is to cook with her and teach her as she grows up. That's what my mom did with me. I don't even remember learning a lot about cooking. I just grew up watching and somehow it was etched into my brain.
Sunday, February 10, 2013
I've been nominated for the Liebster Award! This award is for bloggers who have less than 200 followers but should have more.
Here are the Rules:
- Each person tagged must post 11 things about themselves.
- They must also answer the 11 questions the tagger has set for them.
- They must create 11 more questions to ask bloggers they have decided to tag.
- They must then choose 11 bloggers to tag with less than 200 followers.
- These lucky bloggers must be told.
- There are NO TAG BACKS.
11 Things About Me
1. I'm a farm girl. My heart will always be in the country no matter how many years I live in town.
2. I have a daughter named after my paternal grandma and my mom.
3. I miss my dad's side of the family and wish I could see all of them more.
4. I have the best husband in the world.
5. I repeated first grade because I couldn't read. My mom taught me to read and by 2nd grade, I was one of the best readers in my class.
6. Purple is my favorite color and is in every room of my house as either the accent color or the main color.
7. I have 3 siblings and am the second oldest or the baby of the first set depending on how you want to look at it.
8. I love music and wish that I could play the guitar and have more confidence in my singing voice.
9. I have a BA in Spanish and lived in Spain for a year to become fluent.
10. I know how to knit.
11. I like to write but don't do enough of it.
11 Questions from Nancy:
1. Chocolate or vanilla? Both. I like chocolate cake but prefer vanilla ice cream that I can top with whatever I like.
2. Do you have a hobby? What is it? Baking, knitting, reading, writing (I sound like a 90 year old woman.)
3. Who is your favorite author? There are too many to choose from! A few of my favorites are Mary Higgins Clark and Anna Quindlen.
4. What is your favorite type of book; romance, mystery, historical...? Again too many to just pick one! I like mysteries among others but am not a fan of romance novels.
5. What is the most important trait you look for in a friend? Honesty. I have to be able to trust what they tell me.
6. What is your favorite scent? Harvest!
7. Are you a homebody or a traveler? Both. I like to travel but need time at home as well.
8. Do you believe in miracles? Absolutely
9. Who is your favorite musician and why? Yikes! I can't pick one. I know a lot of talented musicians but my cousin Diane comes to mind first. As far as mainstream musicians, I've always loved Aerosmith's music.
10. What is your favorite piece of clothing and why? I'm not sure I have a specific favorite piece of clothing... which is a little sad. I like stylish comfy clothes.
11. What is your favorite thing to do on a day off? Snuggle with Katherine. Look at recipes online and in magazines and make a menu... think about food in general.
I'm deviating from the rules. Most of the blogs that I follow have already been nominated so I'm just going to post blogs I think you should take a look at.
A blog by my 2nd mom. It's a hilarious and touching look at her life.
A blog by my little sister. She's hysterical.A blog by a coworker who has moved to South Dakota. She's originally from Brazil and speaks Portuguese, Spanish and English.
My cousin's blog. She's a professional singer in Europe.