Tuesday, May 3, 2016

What I'm Reading, May 2016 edition

As mentioned in previous blog posts, I love to read.  With two little people running around, reading can be hard to squeeze in.  I usually read during my lunch hour and right before bed.  Here is what I'm currently reading and what's on my to-be read list:

On the Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls Wilder
I'm slowly reading my way through the Little House series. I finished Farmer Boy in April and started On the Banks of Plum Creek.  In this book, Laura's family has moved to Minnesota and is living in a dugout, to use Ma's words.  I'm not very far into to the book so I really can't offer much of a synopsis.  This is my before bed book and I'm really enjoying it.  The books are an easy enough read to help me relax before going to sleep and the chapters are just the right length too.

Hands Free Life: 9 Habits for Overcoming Distraction, Living Better and Loving More by Rachel Macy Stafford
This book is pretty interesting.  The subtitle is what drew me to the book.  I definitely need help overcoming distraction which seems to be ever present in our world.  I can't say that I've implemented each habit.  I'm not one to drastically overhaul our lives just because a book says to.  The book does provide some interesting things to think about and overall I've enjoyed the book.  The author does include a poem with each section or chapter, which I skip over.  I don't mind some poetry but Stafford's style is not my thing.  I also bought Stafford's other book Hands Free Mama: A Guide to Putting Down the Phone, Burning the To-Do List, and Letting Go of Perfection to Grasp What Really Matters!.  I probably won't read it immediately after finishing this book but I will add it to my list of books to read this year.

On My Bookshelf:
Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook for Milk Allergies, Lactose Intolerance, and Casein-Free Living by Alisa Marie Fleming
   I bought this book awhile ago when I needed to cut dairy out of my diet when Sean was a newborn.  His dairy allergy seems to have flared back up so I'm going to be revisiting this book.

By The Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls Wilder
  The next book in the Little House series.  It will be my before bed book.

Homer's Odyssey: A Fearless Feline, or How I Learned About Love and Life with a Blind Wonder Cat by Gwen Cooper
  I picked up this book at the Book Lover's Book Sale our public library puts on every year.  {A side note: This was the first year I went to the book sale and I'm totally hooked. Great books for a super cheap price, yes please!}  I'm a cat person so pretty much any book about cats will catch my eye.  I also love stories about people or animals overcoming the odds so a story about a blind cat really appealed to me.

What are you reading?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Theresa, I have readout your blog and it's very interesting. I am keep writing.. Thanks WWICS Review

    ReplyDelete