Sunday, January 22, 2012

And we're in business!

Tasty Treasures has their first official customer!  Steve's employee Zach asked Steve "If I pay your wife 10 bucks, will she make that cranberry apple thing?"  He's referring to my Cranberry-Apple Chutney that I made for them at Thanksgiving and yes, if he pays me $10, I will make it for him.  I bought the ingredients on my way home from work Friday evening.  I bought enough to make a double batch since I only got a small taste the first time I made it.  Even buying double the ingredients was well under $10.  Steve took Zach's portion to work on Saturday and returned with my money.  I am very excited for this.  I've been wanting to get a side job to supplement my full-time job for awhile.  (Not that we need the money, I just want to have a little extra.)  And this is perfect.  It's something that I love to do and doesn't require a lot of work.   I told Steve that I could probably do a lot of business around Christmas-time making cookie/goody trays for people.  He agreed.  A lot of people where Steve work don't cook or bake.  They think I'm some goddess because I can.  I find it a little funny.  Cooking and baking have always been a big part of my life (thanks Mom!) and it seems odd that someone wouldn't know how.  But back to my business, I did make a tentative price sheet:

Chutney: $10
1 Dozen Cookies: $10
1 Dozen Cupcakes: $10

I know it's not very imaginative to price everything at $10 but it's a start.  I also felt asking more than $10 for a dozen cupcakes or a dozen cookies was a little pricey.  I checked a local bakery's website and priced myself a little below them.  I haven't added cakes or goody trays on there yet.  I'll price those when the time comes.

7 comments:

  1. You should be able to charge more since it's homemade, Theresa, not under what a bakery gets. They can charge less because of the quantity they make. I know it's hard; I felt the same way, but people appreciate not having something commercially made and are willing to pay for it. If they gripe about the prices, they don't need or appreciate your effort or time. You should boost your price on your cupcakes, if nothing else, to at least $15. I've had people actually pay me up to $20/doz., without me asking!
    Good luck with your venture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nancy! I took your advice and upped my cupcake price to $15. Now I need to practice making them pretty. By the time Jerry's graduation comes around, they'll look pretty darn good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come home some weekend and we'll play!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love that! I haven't had enough time to tinker around in the kitchen lately. We're still trying to get the house settled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I lived in Sioux City so I could get some homemade baked goodies. You do a great job. I miss your cooking at the birthday potluck with interpreters. The prices are good but I agree with Nancy that people may pay more for quality.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, thanks Angela! If you're ever in Sioux City visiting, let me know and I'll make a little something for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, I will...I wish to stop at the clinic someday to say hi. I am always short of time when I go to Sioux City! Miss seeing the friends there and miss seeing you!

    ReplyDelete