Sunday, October 2, 2011

Winning the Battle... Maybe the War

   Today I will be spending the day in my kitchen chopping vegetables and fruit, browning hamburger and cooking chicken for next week's meals.  I'm taking solace in my kitchen.  This last month has been particularly stressful for me.  I'm trying to do all of the prep work today so we can have tasty and nutritious meals this week. I've over-scheduled myself until January and the perfectionist in me in rearing her ugly head.  The perfectionist in me questions everything I do at work, in my church activities, my participation in holiday traditions, how I play music, how I complete my crafts and so on.  Many people appreciate the perfectionist in me.  They know if I'm assigned a task or take on a task, it will be done correctly.  But I don't appreciate her.  The perfectionist in me questions everything except my presence in the kitchen.  Cooking and baking are the one thing that comes naturally to me.  Being in the kitchen is the one place the perfectionist won't follow me to.  The one place were she won't nag me and tell me I'm doing something wrong or not good enough.  It's the one place where I can tell her to take a flying leap and she actually listens.  I've done battle many times with the perfectionist in me.  She's easing up a little bit but when I get stressed especially around the holiday season, she rears her ugly head.  Quite frequently I lose my battle with the perfectionist but not in the kitchen.  In the kitchen I always win.

3 comments:

  1. It's a good idea to make things ahead of time. It does make life much better and less stressful! How is work at the clinic? I bet always so busy. Have they started to vaccinate for the flu? Enjoyed your blog post! Hope you will have a much relaxed next coming week Have a great weekend!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Theresa; as one to another, you need to cut yourself some slack and realize that no matter what you think of yourself, we all think you're already perfect. Don't make yourself nuts over it, sweet thing.
    My therapy is in my kitchen as well; relax while you're there, let it do its magic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela, work has been very busy. They gave us the flu vaccine last week and I still have an ugly bruise on my arm from it.

    Nancy, thank you! I know I'm hardest on myself. I was actually thinking yesterday that you and I are pretty similar with the perfectionist thing. The 90's music and cutting veggies worked it's magic. I did cut my finger while peeling carrots so I wasn't able to do everything I wanted but that's ok.

    ReplyDelete